What information do we collect and how do we use it?
The Site is designed to be open and free, which means that you do not have to register, create an account or sign in to use the Site. If you do choose to register with the Site, we collect certain information that identifies you as an individual or relates to you as an identifiable person ("Personal Information"), including:
- your email address;
- your user name;
- your photo (if you choose to upload one); and
- any other Personal Information you submit to us during your profile registration process ("Profile Information") or on any forms or other input fields on the Site.
We may use Personal Information:
- to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you updates regarding the Site;
- to send administrative information to you, such as information regarding the Site and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies;
- to send you information about the Site and other offerings;
- to provide you with technical support and customer service;
- to personalize your experience on the Site by suggesting new educational activities, including but not limited to the Explorations, Collections and Questions accessible on the Site (the "Lessons"), for you to try and by helping you to track your progress;
- to allow you to provide feedback to and receive feedback from other users on Lessons;
- to allow you to participate in contests and similar promotions and to administer these activities, some of which may have additional rules about how we use and disclose your Personal Information. We suggest that you read any such rules carefully;
- to facilitate social sharing functionality; and
- for our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products, providing technical fixes, enhancing, improving or modifying our products or services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
"Other Information" is information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not relate to you as an identifiable person, including:
- "Usage Data", such as:
- your answers to Lessons;
- when you begin and end a Lesson;
- when you visit the site;
- what pages you visit while using the Site;
- the page from which you navigated to the Site and the page to which you navigate when you leave the Site;
- any playthrough-specific customizations to a Lesson (such as randomly generated parameters);
- any contributions you make to the Site (such as feedback on Lessons, edits to Lessons, and Lessons created);
- browser and device information, such as:
- the IP address of the computer used to access the Site;
- what browser or device you are using to visit the Site;
- what operating system you are using;
- information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies;
- demographic information and other information disclosed by you; and
- aggregated information
Usage Data: We collect information when a user, whether or not the user is signed in, visits the Site. We use Usage Data to guide the learning experience, to evaluate the effectiveness of contributions, to improve our understanding of the learning process and to otherwise improve the effectiveness of our offerings. We do not correlate Usage Data with Personal Information unless the user has created an account and signed in, in which case only Usage Data collected or generated by the user related to Lessons is correlated with the user's account.
Browser and device information: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language and Internet browser type and version. We use this information to ensure that the Site functions properly and to better understand our users.
We do not respond to browser do-not-track signals at this time.
Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with the Site to, among other things, track the actions of users, measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about use of the Site.
Google offers the ability to opt out from tracking through Google Analytics cookies; for more information, visit: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
IP Address: Your IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider. An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Site, along with the time of the visit and the pages visited. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications and other services. We use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, diagnosing server problems and administering the Site.
From you: Information such as your preferred means of communication is collected when you voluntarily disclose it.
By aggregating information: Aggregated Personal Information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Site.
How is your information shared or disclosed?
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- to our service providers (including Google) who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing and other services;
- to third-party sponsors of contests and similar promotions;
- to identify you to anyone to whom you send messages or feedback through the Site;
- by you, on or through your profile page (including your Profile Information), and your messages, edits and contributions to the Site and feedback to us or other users. Please note that any information you choose to post or disclose will become public and may be available to other users and the general public. We urge you to be thoughtful when deciding to disclose any information on the Site.
How do we protect Personal Information?
Oppia is committed to protecting your information. We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information that we maintain within our organization. We also seek to use third-party service providers capable of protecting the information they maintain or process for us. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your data has been compromised or your use of the Site is no longer secure, please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Choices and access
If you register and provide Oppia with Personal Information, you may update or delete your Personal Information at any time by reviewing your Profile Information and preferences on your account settings page or by contacting us at email@example.com. The only exception is that we cannot allow users to change their email address or username.
If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt out by following the instructions contained in each such email. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt out, we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt out.
If you are a resident of California, under 18, and a registered user of the Site, you may ask us to remove content or information that you have posted to the Site by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that your request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information, as, for example, some of your content may have been reposted by another user.
Use by children
The Site is not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13). If you are under 13, we do not want your Personal Information and you should not provide it to us. If you are a legal guardian and believe that your child who is under 13 has provided us with Personal Information, please contact us at email@example.com to have your child's information removed.
The Site is controlled and operated by us from the United States, and is not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we or our service providers have facilities, and by using the Site you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have different data protection rules than those of your country. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies or security authorities in those other countries may be entitled to access your Personal Information.
Links to third-party sites